Growing Younger

The Fountain of Youth is a mythical spring that is said to restore youth to anyone who drinks from these waters. Ponce de Leon is credited with discovering this magic fountain in St. Augustine, Florida. My family visited this site, and we all tried a cup of the supposed magic waters. I am currently a 70-something male who wonders where the vigor of that cup of magic went.

A company recently posted this advertisement, “You were made to grow younger.” My immediate thoughts were drawn to the previously mentioned Fountain of Youth. Perhaps this company had tapped into the magic of youth restoration.

Youth! Everyone desires it, yet we live in a world of aging individuals. The gyms are full of people wanting to retain a youthful lifestyle and strong body, yet the natural course of life is one of aging.

We are told that aging gracefully is possible with a certain food or drug. Another piece of sage advice is, “age is just a number.” Well, my number is getting higher each year, and with that number the aches and pains are also growing.

Perhaps, we should allow the one who created us to be our guide in the aging process. Consider these verses from God’s Word.

You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. James 4:14

Even though my body is aging, I can hold on to this promise. I will be your God through all your lifetime, yes, even when your hair is white with age. I made you and I will care for you. I will carry you along and be your Savior. Isaiah 46:4

The Apostle Paul, also an aging individual, penned these words as he passed through middle age. I am sure of this, that He who started a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. Philippians 1:6

Now, don’t get the wrong idea about aging. We should take care of our bodies through good dietary habits and daily exercise; however, age will continue to creep up on us. I would rather trust my life with Jesus, my Savior, rather than a mythical fountain of youth.

Ken

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The One In Charge

Walking On Water

Thirsty – Lent Day 4