Don’t Miss This

 Jesus spent His last few hours on earth with the disciples.  They were pleased to celebrate Passover with Jesus, little aware that He would soon die.  The disciples joyfully prepared the feast and were soon gathered around Jesus as He initiated the age-old celebration.

Passover was one of the Three Pilgrimage Festivals during which the entire population of the kingdom of Judah made a pilgrimage to the Temple in Jerusalem.  The city was packed with pilgrims, eager to celebrate and renew vows.

Jesus told them, “This very night you will all fall away on account of me, for it is written: “I will strike the shepherd, and the sheep of the flock will be scattered.’ But after I have risen, I will go ahead of you into Galilee.”  

Peter replied, “Even if all fall away on account of you, I never will.”  “Truly I tell you,” Jesus answered, “this very night before the rooster crows, you will disown me three times.”  But Peter declared, “Even if I have to die with you, I will never disown you.” And all the other disciples said the same.

 Matthew 26:31-35

Jesus, always the teacher, was leading the disciples’ Passover meal and preparing them for events soon to unfold.  He repeated the Mosaic words, presented the chosen foods, and guided the disciples in the appropriate prayers.  He wanted to prepare the 12 for what was to inevitably come.

Did you catch it?  

Jesus spoke words of warning while inserting an exciting prepositional phrase, and the disciples missed it!  “After I have risen, I will go ahead of you into Galilee.”

The disciples were so intent on the previous words of Jesus, “This very night you will all fall away on account of me, for it is written: “I will strike the shepherd, and the sheep of the flock will be scattered.’

The disciples jumped on Jesus’ words of their leaving, scattering, and running away.  They were adamant; this will never happen to me, Lord!  Peter, especially was strong in his words of loyalty to Jesus.  However, they missed a truly wonderful sentence of hope.  

After I have risen…

How about You?  Have you been so intent on learning and hearing Jesus, that you miss the important nuggets of truth?  Is your need to justify yourself overshadowing a truth that Jesus wants to give to you?

“After I have risen” is crucial to the message of Easter, in fact, it is the pivotal point of our Salvation.  

Jesus died and He has risen.  

He is alive…forever!  

Don’t miss this!

Ken

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The One In Charge

Walking On Water

Thirsty – Lent Day 4