‘Til The Storm Passes By

Red sky at night, sailors delight.  Red sky in the morning, sailors take warning.  As strange as it may seem, there is truth in this mariners’ byword.

Red sky at night – refers to a high concentration of dust particles indicating a high pressure or stable air is coming.

Red sky in the morning – indicates that high pressure or good weather has passed, and a low pressure or storm is approaching.

How we approach the storms in our lives indicates how we feel about Jesus and His ability to care for us.

Jesus said: “You know how to interpret the appearance of the sky, but you cannot interpret the signs of the times.”  Matthew 16:3

So…what are the signs of our times?  One word – trouble!  We could continue with fear, anxiety, hate…you get the picture.  The disciples faced a stormy evening in a boat and Jesus was asleep.  It had been a tiring day and they were rowing across the Sea of Galilee.  Suddenly, a violent storm threatened the lives of the disciples.

A furious squall came up, and the waves broke over the boat, so that it was nearly swamped.  Jesus was in the stern, sleeping on a cushion. The disciples woke him and said to him, “Teacher, don’t you care if we drown?”  He got up, rebuked the wind and said to the waves, “Quiet! Be still!” Then the wind died down and it was completely calm.  He said to his disciples, “Why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith?”  Mark 4:37-40

 

Jesus’ response to His disciples could be translated, “You still do not have confidence in me?”

Confidence?  Confidence in what?  That Jesus could save them?  That Jesus knew where the stepping stones were in the lake?  Or that Jesus really was who He said that He was?  Could this really be The Messiah?  The Son of God?

If so, why were they afraid?

Perhaps, we should ask that question of ourselves…Do I have confidence in Jesus?  Confidence to save me in my storm?  Is He really that powerful?  Does He actually have the authority over my problems and storms?

Listen to Paul’s words:

But He (Jesus) said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.      2 Corinthians 12:9

 

Paul faced storms more than once, and he discovered that Jesus was more than capable of dominating his issues, problems and even his storms.  Jesus specializes in storms and issues that are out of our control.  In fact, He is ready to help us…Now!

 

Mosie Lister, singer and songwriter, expressed thoughts on life’s storms in his song, ‘Til The Storm Passes By

 

In the dark of the midnight have I oft hid my face.
While the storm howls above me, and there's no hiding place.
'Mid the crash of the thunder, Precious Lord, hear my cry,
Keep me safe till the storm passes by.

 

Till the storm passes over, till the thunder sounds no more,
Till the clouds roll forever from the sky.
Hold me fast, let me stand in the hollow of Thy hand.
Keep me safe till the storm passes by.  Mosie Lister, 1958

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The One In Charge

Walking On Water

Thirsty – Lent Day 4