For My Own Sake – Lent Day 32

“I, even I, am he who blots out your transgressions, for my own sake, and remembers your sins no more. Isaiah 43:25

The chorus goes, “God is so good. God is so good. God is so good, He’s so good to me.” The lyrics’ repetition may seem redundant or pedantic, however the message is life changing and restorative. Why is God good? The answer is never given, we are merely told that God is good.

“For my own sake - Not because you deserve it, or have any claim, or that it would not be right to punish you. Not even primarily to promote your happiness and salvation, but for my sake.” (Albert Barnes)

The fact that God blots out our sins is amazing. The reason? That’s even more wonderful. Just because He can and wants to do so.

God formed a covenant with Abraham in which God Himself was responsible for all of the details. In the same way God forgives our sins, takes care of all of the details, and does it….just because He is God.

No wonder we can sing, “Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound.” God saves us through the death and resurrection of Jesus, just because He can.

Let’s read that verse again in a more contemporary version.

But I, yes I, am the one who takes care of your sins—that’s what I do. I don’t keep a list of your sins. Isaiah 43:25 (MSG)

We are saved and forgiven…just because God can.

For My Own sake.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The One In Charge

Walking On Water

Thirsty – Lent Day 4